Friday, August 9, 2013

No one really wants to come down off the mountain

"Then Moses turned and went down from the mountain..." Ephesians 32:15

We had an amazing mountain top experience for 5 days this week while at the World Indigenous Missions International conference. Our whole family was bathed in the love of God and we climbed to a spiritual high. The worship was anointed, the speakers were anointed, the fellowship was anointed (and the food was good;o). Each experience a ledge which we used to hoist ourselves higher in to the presence of God.

Yesterday I lamented to a few of our fellow attendees that I was sad to leave, feeling as though I was climbing back down the mountain when I really wanted to continue to sit in the presence of God.

Moses had to come back down. In fact his climb up the mountain and his resulting time with God wasn't much good to anyone besides himself unless he came back down. The purpose of our time this week was to receive refreshment and new resolve for our time on the mission field, where we suspect we will spend time in some very deep dark valleys.

However, I know that one can not survive on a triannual climbs up the mountain alone. So my heart before God has been, Lord how do I stay right here and yet serve down there.

"And now I will go up to the Lord...So Moses returned to the Lord..." Ephesians 32:30a, 31a

Many times over my 15 years of being a born again believer have I heard "read the Word every day", "pray without ceasing", "go to church", "fellowship with the saints". All with good intentions but received by me in a spirit of legalism. Just another thing to do to be a good Christian. I have wanted a deeper relationship and I thought these "things" would bring that about.

I have grown in the Lord, but not because I did these things. I hope to write a few posts about how my mountain top experiences, the valleys that I climbed down in to, and a fresh outlook on being in God's presence have brought me to a place of maintaining a spiritual "high" and a deep relationship with God, even in the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment