Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reunion of sorts


Tonight Dave and I get to meet with the lady who first shared with me about the prevalence of abortion in Japan. I have not seen her since that day over 2 years ago when we were introduced. Here is how the story goes:

She came to the Pregnancy Center I was working at to visit a friend and co-worker of mine. My co-worker introduced us and we sat to chat about how she had gotten involved in volunteering with the center one town over. She is from Japan. She married an American man and has lived here for many years. She had an abortion at some point in her life and knows first hand the emotional ramifications of that choice. Now she serves women through post abortion ministry. She spoke of how abortion was not at all uncommon in Japan and that it was like birth control for many. Without much thought I told her that she ought to go back to Japan and start a Pregnancy Center, a place where women who thought they had no other choice could go to learn about God's love, his provision, and his hope for the unborn. As I watched the expression on her face, one that seem to acknowledge the need for what I had just spoken, I quickly blurted out "I'd be happy to go with you to help!".
The instant those words came out of my mouth I mentally recoiled and thought, "what did I just agree to" and "my husband is going to have a fit". Maybe the acknowledgement in her face had more to do with a word God had just given her or a wisdom beyond my spiritual understanding at the moment. She didn't offer to go to Japan to start a ministry but she didn't discourage me either.

We are excited to hear that she has been working on translating the post abortion materials she uses in to Japanese. We have been told this is a need. I hope to ask her to help me learn Japanese, specifically what I will need to know to minister to pregnant women.

No comments:

Post a Comment